It’s important to clean a white plastic cutting board before and after use. If not, food particles may stick to the surface, which can cause it to wear down more quickly.
You can clean it by rubbing with a little dish soap, rinsing it with water and then drying it off completely. But if you notice it is getting worn down after a while, you may want to consider buying a new one instead of trying to use it longer.
A quick look at Amazon’s top plastic cutting board!
White is the default color for many plastic cutting boards. To be exact, more than 80% of all plastic cutting boards are white, because it is the color that manufacturers can make the fastest and cheapest. However, there are many issues that come with a white plastic chopping board.
The first major issue is that white and silver plastic cutting boards can be easily be stained. This is because white plastic has a high luster that can show every trace of dirt, oil, and other grime that comes in contact with it.
To keep a chopping board clean, make sure to wash it with hot water and dish soap just after each use. Also, never let food sit on a white cutting board for more than a few minutes.
SUGGESTED: Best Non-Toxic Cutting Boards: 2021 Update
Another common problem with white plastic chopping boards is that they can show the grime and food. You’ll notice that in no time, the grime will form a film which is not only very hard to clean, but also looks horrible.
- 1 How to Clean a White Plastic Cutting Board
- 2 How to Remove Molds From Plastic Cutting Board
- 3 How to Remove Stains From Plastic Cutting
- 4 How to Remove Potent Strains Using Lemon with Salt:
- 5 How to Remove Stains From White Plastic Cutting Board Using Hydrogen Peroxide
- 6 How to Remove Thick Molds From Plastic Cutting Board Using Bleach:
- 7 How to Restoring Your White plastic Cutting Board:
- 8 Homemade Whitener for Cleaning Your White Platic Cutting Board:
- 9 How this process works:
- 10 Cons of This Process:
- 11 Using Whitener from The Market:
- 12 FAQ:
How to Clean a White Plastic Cutting Board
Wash your board with soap and water
If you are like me, you know that cutting boards are a great way to store and organize all of your food and kitchen items. The white cutting board are nice because they can be wiped down with soap and water to clean them after you use them.
Scrape off food particles and rinse with warm water. Wipe with a solution of mild soap and water. Rinse and dry. However, this is not the best way to clean a cutting board.
Sanitize your board
Sanitize the plastic cutting board by soaking it in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 10 minutes. After soaking, wash the cutting board with soap and water.
Another way, to Sanitize the plastic cutting board by leaving it in the dishwasher.
For more effective sanitizing, put the cutting board in the dishwasher and run the dishwasher with detergent.
Wash your board with bleach and water
To wash a plastic cutting board with bleach and water:
- Fill a tub with water and add a tablespoon of bleach.
- Clean the cutting board with a clean sponge.
- Rinse with clean water.
Clean your board with oil
The thing about using oil to clean your board is that you have to use enough to make it stay clean, but not too much that the oil will wipe away the board’s flavor. So if you use too much, the oil will end up getting on the board, and you will end up with a dull surface that needs to be “re-oiled” to keep it clean. If you use too little, the board is left with a grimy surface that won’t clean up nicely.
Wipe down your board with vinegar
You always know you’re at the beach when the smell of vinegar wafts in the air. For those who have eaten fish, the smell of vinegar can mean a good deal of work to remove the fish smell from their hands. If you are using a plastic board, you can use vinegar to help rid the board of any fish smell that may be present.
The best way to clean your plastic cutting board is to wash it with hot water and soap using a sponge. It is best to do this immediately after use and dry the surface with a towel until it is dry.
If your board has already stained and you are looking for a quick way to get rid of it, watch this video:
How to Remove Molds From Plastic Cutting Board
The first step is to rinse and clean your cutting board with hot, soapy water. Afterwards, you have to pour a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide over the board. Here, you might think that hydrogen peroxide is also a chemical. Why are we suggesting you for using it, and what difference will it make from the other chemicals?
- The answer is, unlike other chemicals, Hydrogen peroxide evaporates automatically. That is why it causes no harm to your health and does not stay on the surface of your cutting board after a certain period.
- Another good news is that it is an effective bleaching agent that adequately serves to brighten surfaces and kill bacteria.
- It is an all-in-one disinfectant. That means it is anti-mold, anti-mildew, anti-fungal, and antibacterial at the same time.
How to Remove Stains From Plastic Cutting
If you are disturbed by the stains on your plastic cutting board, you will be surprised to know what a Lemon can do to mitigate your pain. Lemon juice is an effective agent that serves the purpose of removing the stains significantly.
- Lemon juice is proved to be an effective white plastic board whitener in a sense.
- The antibacterial properties of lemon juice help to clean the outer surface of the cutting board.
- Lemon contains citric acid, which plays a vital role in cleaning.
- Citric acid is a mild acid helpful for removing spots and hard water stains.
How to Remove Potent Strains Using Lemon with Salt:
You may combine lemon juice with abrasive, coarse salt for some stain-lifting severe power. Just pay attention to the following instructions to get a fantastic result.
- You have to sprinkle two tablespoons of coarse salt onto the board and dry the cutting board.
- Scour the surface of the cutting board after placing a lemon half cut side down on the board. Keep on lightly squeezing the Lemon to release the lemon juice as you go.
- Afterward, you have to scrap the salt and lemon mixture into a bowl and discard after letting the mixture sit for five minutes.
- Take a clean wet sponge and finish your task by rinsing the board with that sponge. Let the board get dry before use.
How to Remove Stains From White Plastic Cutting Board Using Hydrogen Peroxide
Using a solution of straight old 3% hydrogen peroxide is also an effective solution for removing stains. This will eliminate the stains on your chopping board if you invest enough time. Just do it using the following instructions.
- You have to place the cutting board in a sink.
- Take a certain percentage of hydrogen peroxide and spray or pour it over your board until it gets wet.
- Take mental preparation to wait for several hours so that hydrogen peroxide can soak the cutting board using enough time. Do this process at night so that you will get enough time and patience.
- Finally, use detergent and water to wash the plastic cutting board. Then wait until it gets dry. That’s it.
How to Remove Thick Molds From Plastic Cutting Board Using Bleach:
Are you still feeling insecure with the steps mentioned earlier? Well, sometimes the molds get too thick to be removed. What you need is chlorine bleach.
- First, dilute the chlorine bleach properly. Just take half a gallon of warm water and mix two teaspoons of chlorine bleach. This is the ideal proportion to get a significant solution strength.
- The next step is to use a kitchen scrubbing brush. Gently scrub your cutting board in the bleach solution until the mold has disappeared. It’s that simple.
By the way, there are some drawbacks to this process. Chlorine bleach may be found not to be a healthy option if it is not diluted correctly. You have to wait until the board gets fully dry before use.
How to Restoring Your White plastic Cutting Board:
Sometimes you may discover that your plastic cutting board is not in a state of being used anymore. You may think the board is dead, and a proper ritual is necessary. Well, the reality is, you can restore that vulnerable cutting board by taking some simple steps. Sanding is one of the very best effective methods to restore your plastic cutting board.
- Sanding a plastic cutting board is not that tough. What you need is medium grade paper, which may be 80 grit or so.
- Take that grade paper and sand until gouges or scratches are eliminated from the board, and the surface gets smooth.
- This requires a lot of sandpapers as the friction causes the heat that is responsible for the melting of the plastic board. To get a slick finish, you have to use a fair amount of grit paper.
- Afterward, the surface needs to be polished with a rouge until the surface gets shiny.
By the way, there are some drawbacks of resurfacing a plastic cutting board as the process is time-consuming to an extent, and sometimes the process needs a lot of patience. In that case, buying a new cutting board may seem comparatively easy and satisfactory.
This should be kept in mind that prevention is better than cure. If you purchase a good quality cutting board with sustainable material, you will find that the board will not get damaged soon. You can buy a long-lasting cutting board from the following link.
Homemade Whitener for Cleaning Your White Platic Cutting Board:
People often find their white plastic board getting shabby. It hurts!! For that particular scenario, the method, as mentioned earlier of using Lemon, can do a far better job than anything else. Lemon juice is a beautiful alternative to conventional plastic board whiteners. In some worst-case scenarios, Lemon may fall short of serving the purpose. You may go for a conventional plastic board whitener then. Using a homemade paste, you can easily scrub the stains out. But how will you make it? Just follow the instructions.
- Take approximately equal amounts of baking soda, salt, and water, and the ingredients have to be adequately mixed.
- This mixture is also proven to be an effective plastic board whitener. You can use this mixture to scrub out surface stains and to whiten the surface.
Another kind of effective mixture can be created by baking soda, dish detergent, and hydrogen peroxide. You have to follow some steps to get excellent results.
- Take one tablespoon of dish detergent, 1-2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, and 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda and mix them properly to get a mixture. Avoid making a soupy mixture and make sure that the mixture becomes easily spreadable.
- Let the mixture sit for several hours or overnight after being sprayed or poured on the surface of the cutting board so that it can go to the battle with the stains for a long time to bring a good result.
- Properly do the work of wiping or rubbing off the mixture. Use detergent and water to wash the cutting board.
- Let the board get dry before use.
How this process works:
- Baking soda is a natural abrasive which is renowned for helping to eliminate food stains.
- It is mentioned earlier that hydrogen peroxide is an effective bleaching agent capable of killing bacteria, brightening surfaces, and virtually eliminating stains.
- Dish soap serves the purpose of eliminating any greasy residue left on the board.
The thick mixture helps to keep the cleaning agents united in one place by dint of its sticky texture. As the agents stay along with each other for a long time, they can work as a team to win the battle against stains and bacteria.
Cons of This Process:
Surprisingly the only drawback of this process is that it is time-consuming.
You may find it boring. If you think so, run the process at night. You may sleep, take a rest, or have your other works done while the cleaning agents are automatically engaged in the battle.
Using Whitener from The Market:
You may go for a conventional block whitener available in the market, but it should be kept in mind that proper safety measures are needed to be taken while using block whitener. Personal Protective Equipment should be worn. Moreover, proper usage of sanitizer and washing and drying for a particular time is essential.
Are plastic cutting boards safe?
Plastic cutting boards help you prevent cross-contamination by avoiding contact with raw meat. Unlike wooden cutting boards, plastic is not porous so bacteria can’t easily hide in the microscopic cracks and crevices. Cleaning and sanitizing with plastic boards are also easy and extremely manageable, as the boards are dishwasher friendly.
So, it is safe.
What is a plastic cutting board used for?
It has many uses, including cutting meat, vegetables, and fruit, and serving food. Also,It is used to protect your tabletop and is usually dishwasher friendly
What are white plastic cutting boards made of?
Typically, It is made of polypropylene which is a thermoplastic polymer. They are cheap and durable. But they are not easily stained and don’t absorb odour.
How do you clean a white plastic cutting board easily?
To clean a plastic cutting board, you can scrub the board with a solution of hot water and soap, then rinse and dry immediately.
How do you bleach a cutting board?
- Mix a teaspoon of bleach with a quart of water and use a soft sponge to clean your board using this mixture.
- Rinse the cleaning solution off of your chopping board with hot water. Stand the cutting board up to dry.
When should I replace my plastic cutting board?
All plastic and wooden chopping boards wear out over time. Once boards become excessively worn or develop hard-to-clean grooves, they should be discarded.
How long should you use a plastic cutting board?
If you are hand washing it and the board has deep cuts or cracks, they become discolored, toss it and buy a new one. They’re not that expensive.