If you’re serious about cooking and want to preserve the sharpness of your knives, investing in a high-quality cutting board is a must. The right cutting board not only protects your countertops but also helps to maintain the integrity of your blades. With so many options available, it can be challenging to know which cutting board is best suited for your needs.
In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the best cutting boards for knives on the market. We’ll discuss different materials, such as wood, plastic, and bamboo, and their pros and cons. We’ll also provide tips on how to choose the right size and style of cutting board for your kitchen. So, whether you’re a professional chef or a home cook looking to elevate your culinary skills, this guide will help you find the perfect cutting board for your knives.
Don’t rush – take a look at our top 3 picks for the best cutting boards for your knives!
What Type of Cutting Board Is Best for Knives?
When it comes to cooking, the tools you use can make a world of difference in your culinary experience. One often overlooked but essential tool in any kitchen is the cutting board. Choosing the right cutting board can significantly impact the longevity of your knives and the safety of your food preparation. In this article, I’ll explore the different types of cutting boards available and help you determine which one is best for knives.
As someone who enjoys spending time in the kitchen and takes pride in my knife skills, I’ve learned firsthand how crucial it is to have the right cutting board. The choice of cutting board material plays a vital role in maintaining the sharpness of your knives and ensuring your food remains safe to eat.
Here are some of the most common types of cutting boards and their pros and cons:
- Wooden Cutting Boards:
- Pros: Wooden cutting boards are gentle on knife edges, reducing the likelihood of premature dulling. They also have natural antimicrobial properties, which can inhibit the growth of bacteria.
- Cons: Wooden boards require more maintenance than other types. They can’t be washed in the dishwasher and should be regularly oiled to prevent cracking and warping.
- Plastic Cutting Boards:
- Pros: Plastic cutting boards are easy to clean and dishwasher safe. They are also affordable and come in various sizes and colors.
- Cons: They tend to dull knives more quickly than wooden boards. Deep knife cuts can harbor bacteria, even with regular cleaning.
- Bamboo Cutting Boards:
- Pros: Bamboo boards are eco-friendly and durable. They are less prone to warping than wooden boards and are gentler on knives than plastic.
- Cons: Like wooden boards, bamboo boards require regular oiling to maintain their integrity.
- Glass Cutting Boards:
- Pros: Glass cutting boards are easy to clean and highly resistant to stains and odors. They also provide a smooth cutting surface.
- Cons: Glass is extremely hard and will quickly dull knives. It’s also prone to chipping and can shatter if mishandled.
- Composite Cutting Boards:
- Pros: Composite boards, made from a combination of materials, aim to provide the best of both worlds. They are gentler on knives than glass or some plastics and are easier to clean than wooden boards.
- Cons: The quality and knife-friendliness of composite boards can vary depending on the specific materials used.
So, which cutting board is best for knives? It ultimately depends on your priorities and preferences. If you value knife longevity and don’t mind a bit of maintenance, wooden or bamboo boards are excellent choices. On the other hand, if convenience and ease of cleaning are your top concerns, plastic or composite boards may be more suitable.
One crucial factor to remember is the importance of proper care and maintenance, regardless of the type of cutting board you choose. Always clean your cutting board thoroughly after each use, preferably with hot, soapy water, and allow it to dry completely. Sanitizing with a diluted bleach solution periodically is also recommended, especially for boards used for cutting raw meat.
In conclusion, the best cutting board for knives varies from person to person and depends on individual priorities. Regardless of your choice, taking proper care of your cutting board will not only extend the life of your knives but also ensure the safety of your culinary creations. So, go ahead and choose the cutting board that suits your needs and embark on your culinary adventures with confidence!
Top 6 Cutting Boards for Knives: Choosing the Perfect Match for Your Kitchen
1. John Boos Walnut Wood Edge Grain: One of the Best Cutting Boards for Knives
- Food preparation accessory measures 20 inches long, 15 inches wide, and 1.5 inches thick for ample space to help prepare ingredients efficiently, perfect for chopping meats, fruits, and veggies
- Crafted from hand-selected American hard walnut wood with edge grain design, this cutting board showcases quality in its construction
- Versatile and solid construction with a reversible design, the cutting board provides a flat cutting surface so you can prepare ingredients on either side
I absolutely love the Walnut Wood cutting board by John Boos! It’s become one of my top choices, and I’ve noticed it’s a hit among both professional chefs and home cooks. What’s impressive is that it’s crafted right here in the US by one of the oldest and most reputable kitchen gear manufacturers around. This company has been at it since 1887, and their dedication to producing high-quality cutting boards and accessories has earned them the respect of experts in the field.
The specific board I have is the classic “R” cutting board, featuring a smooth edge grain design and convenient hand grips on each side. I find this reversible model to be incredibly versatile, especially with its grooved side that comes in handy for all sorts of foods, keeping those juices neatly collected. Plus, at a substantial 1.5 inches thick, all “R” John Boos boards are built to be exceptionally durable and reliable. With the right care and proper use, this board is sure to serve me for years to come, and it’s definitely a step up from your average pressed wood cutting board.
What makes it even more special is that it’s hand-crafted from American black walnut wood, handpicked by professional foresters. It measures a very practical 20 inches in length and 15 inches in width, which I find to be the perfect size for most of my cooking surfaces. Its thickness of 1.5 inches also makes it feel robust and ready to tackle even the toughest tasks in the kitchen.
Taking care of this board is relatively straightforward. I make sure to hand-wash it with some soap and warm water after each use. Then, I either pat it dry with a paper towel or let it air dry. To keep it in tip-top shape, it’s essential to apply some oil and cream regularly, especially when it’s brand new or if you’re in a dry climate. The oil not only helps protect it from bacteria but also keeps it looking fantastic. I always make sure to store it in a dry place as an extra precaution.
All in all, I can confidently say that the Walnut Wood cutting board by John Boos has become an essential part of my kitchen, and I highly recommend it to anyone who values quality and durability in their cooking tools.
- Beautiful design;
- Highly durable and secure;
- Friendly for your knives;
- The item has two cutting surfaces.
- Has to be hand-washed;
- It requires special treatment.
The price of the board is fairly affordable: it costs around $150 and will serve you for many years, being a great option for any cooking issues.
2. Epicurean Non-Slip Series Cutting Board: The Safest Cutting Board Model for Your Knives
- 14. 5-Inch x 11. 25-Inch composite cutting board, Natural color, removable silicone corners; dual-sided cutting surface
- Modified natural material is lightweight, durable, nonporous, knife friendly and dishwasher safe, and easy to maintain
- Silicone corners grip countertop surface, prevent board from shifting during use
I recently got my hands on this fantastic non-slip cutting board from the Epicurean brand, known for its top-quality wood fiber composite cutting boards. What’s interesting is that this brand was founded back in 2003 by TrueRide, a skating park manufacturer, as a clever way to repurpose excess skating surface material. Talk about innovation!
This cutting board is proudly made in the USA and is a versatile addition to both commercial and private kitchens. It’s incredibly durable, backed by a lifetime warranty, and boasts NSF (National Sanitary Foundation) certification.
What sets this cutting board apart is its focus on safety. It’s not only safe for your health but also for your knives, your washing machine, your cooking surface, and even the environment. The composite material used in its construction is lightweight yet incredibly sturdy, capable of withstanding temperatures up to 350°F. Plus, it can double as a trivet to protect your surfaces from heat damage.
One of its standout features is the removable silicone corners, which securely anchor the board to any surface, ensuring stability during use. It’s designed with two cutting sides, and it’s knife-friendly, helping to maintain your knives’ sharpness for longer periods.
Cleaning this cutting board is a breeze; you can either toss it in the washing machine or give it a quick wash with hot water and soap by hand. No need for oiling or any special treatments.
In summary, I’ve found this Epicurean cutting board to be a fantastic addition to my kitchen. It’s not only safe and eco-friendly but also incredibly convenient and durable. If you’re in the market for a top-notch cutting board, I highly recommend giving this one a try.
- Lightweight and heat-resistant material;
- Has removable silicone corners;
- NSF certified;
- Knife-friendly surface.
- Not as thick and heavy as other materials;
- It doesn’t have a unique design.
Another great advantage of this board is its price: it costs only under $50, which is a great price for a durable knife-friendly model.
3. Asahi Rubber Cutting Board: The Best Cutting Board for Japanese Knives
I’ve recently had the chance to try out the Asahi rubber cutting surface, and I must say, it’s an excellent choice for anyone new to rubber cutting boards. This particular board is crafted in Japan and happens to be the go-to choice for many Japanese chefs. It’s a type of cutting board that’s built to last, possibly even a lifetime, and it pairs perfectly with a wide range of kitchen tools.
What struck me first is how substantial this board feels; it’s reminiscent of softwood. If you’re using Japanese knives, this board is an ideal companion, especially if your knives are on the thinner side. It’s no wonder why professionals and home cooks alike swear by it – the texture is just right, preventing any unwanted slipping or sliding during food prep.
One of the standout features of rubber cutting boards is their non-absorbent nature, which translates to being resistant to moisture, mold, and bacteria. Cleaning up after cooking is a breeze thanks to the non-porous surface, although it’s important to note that this board isn’t dishwasher-safe. The durability here is impressive; you can expect this board to stay intact without cracking or splitting.
While the board has a substantial weight, coming in at 3.1 pounds, it’s one of the top choices in the world of cutting boards. The rubber surface is versatile, accommodating all sorts of ingredients, and it’s even bleach-safe. So, if you encounter any stubborn stains or blemishes, a bit of bleach won’t harm the board – it won’t absorb it. Overall, I’ve found the Asahi rubber cutting surface to be a reliable and long-lasting addition to my kitchen.
- Japanese knives friendly material;
- The non-porous surface that protects it from bacteria;
- Long-lasting material;
- Non-slip rubber surface.
- Cannot be washed in a dishwasher;
- This surface has to be used with butcher or separated knives;
- It might be too heavy for some cooks.
The price is quite significant, although getting a lifetime serving kitchen gear for less than $75, which sounds like a great deal.
4. John Boos Cherry Wood Edge Grain Board: One of the Best Wood Chopping Boards
- Food preparation accessory measures 18 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 1.5 inches thick for ample space to help prepare ingredients efficiently, perfect for chopping meats, fruits, and veggies
- Crafted from hand-selected American hard cherry wood with edge grain design, this cutting board showcases quality in its construction
- Versatile and solid construction with a reversible design, the cutting board provides a flat cutting surface so you can prepare ingredients on either side
I absolutely love the secret behind the popularity of John Boos’s cutting boards. It’s all about the high quality, meticulous attention to detail, and their commitment to environmental integrity throughout the manufacturing process. One cutting board that has captured my heart is the John Boos Cherry Wood Reversible Cutting Board with edge grain. It’s a staple in both private and professional kitchens across the US.
If you’re in the process of selecting the perfect knife and cutting board combo for all your cooking needs, this cutting board is a game-changer. It’s a product of Illinois, USA, crafted using techniques honed by skilled craftsmen since 1887.
What makes this cutting board stand out for me is its versatility. With two sides to work with, it’s incredibly practical. Plus, being a part of the “R” series, it boasts a solid 1.5-inch thickness, making it more than capable of handling even the toughest chopping tasks. Weighing in at 7 pounds and measuring 18 inches in length and 12 inches in width, it offers ample space for my home cooking adventures.
Crafted from hand-selected American Cherry Wood, this cutting board features an edge grain construction. It’s designed with convenience in mind, thanks to the handle grips on both sides, making it easy to flip and clean. However, being a wooden cutting surface, it’s important to note that it requires manual washing in a sink using warm soapy water, followed by thorough air or paper towel drying. Regular care, including oiling and creaming, is crucial to prevent cracks and deformations. Not to mention, it’s an excellent way to ward off bacteria. I highly recommend oiling new boards after each use, and in dry climates, even more frequently.
In summary, this John Boos Cherry Wood Reversible Cutting Board is a kitchen essential that has earned its place in my heart and my kitchen. Its quality and craftsmanship shine through, making it a reliable companion for all my culinary adventures.
- Knife-friendly surface;
- Has a 1-year guarantee against the defects of materials or manufacturing;
- Reversible design;
- It has useful to handle grips.
- The board is pretty heavy – it weighs 7 pounds;
- Only hand-washable;
- Has to be dried, oiled, and creamed after each use.
The board costs under $100 – a significant price, caused by the quality of the material and its durability.
5. Multipurpose American Walnut Wood Cutting Board: A Pressed Wood Cutting Board with Unique Design
- MODERN EDGE GRAIN DESIGN – Motley was thoughtfully crafted to be a functional work of art in your kitchen worthy of a spot on your countertop. Motley is an edge grain constructed board, known for its durability, resistance to stains and unwanted moisture. Finished safely. Free of BPA, phthalates, and formaldehyde.
- VERSATILE AND EFFICIENT – This reversible board is a one stop shop for all your prepping, chopping, and serving needs. No need to off-load your diced onions, chives, garlic, etc. onto extra dishes. Simplify meal prep as you dice and slide into the built-in well to clear your cutting surface and continue chopping.
- READY TO PARTY – With intelligent design features created with you in mind, Motley is ready to shine at your next party. Easily assemble a charcuterie board with the help of our built-in signature Cracker Well which is perfectly sized to hold a variety of crackers, sliced baguette, or any small items that may roll such as nuts, olives, and berries. Party on the move? Use the built-in handles to take the board and its delicious contents with you.
I recently had the pleasure of trying out the Motley Multipurpose Cutting Board, and it’s an absolute gem for anyone in search of a top-notch wooden cutting board. It’s a fantastic choice if you’re looking for something with a touch of style and added functionality, especially if you’ve considered the renowned options like John Bors.
One of the standout features of this cutting board is its versatility. It’s not just a regular cutting board; it doubles as a charcuterie board, making it ideal for prepping cheese, meats, and vegetables for your gatherings. What’s even more impressive is that it’s reversible, with one side featuring a unique tray area, perfect for neatly arranging chopped ingredients or serving crackers and baguettes alongside your meats and cheeses.
This particular model is crafted by Sonder Los Angeles, a small business that prides itself on creating durable yet stylish kitchen essentials. It’s clear that they’ve succeeded in making this cutting board a standout piece for any kitchen.
The board is constructed from American black walnut wood, with charming cherry and maple stripes. With proper care, it’s built to last for decades. Regular oiling is recommended to keep it in top-notch condition.
I also appreciate the thoughtful design of this board. It boasts two sides for various uses, with one side featuring a practical groove that’s perfect for collecting chopped ingredients or presenting crackers, baguettes, and chips. The built-in handles on both sides make it a breeze to flip, lift, wash, and dry. Plus, the surface is knife-friendly, which means your blades will stay sharp for longer.
Although it’s a bit weighty at 6.49 pounds, this heftiness contributes to its stability during cooking. It’s slightly thinner than some other wooden planks, measuring at 1.1 inches in thickness.
And for peace of mind, it comes with a 1-year guarantee to protect against any manufacturing defects. Overall, the Motley Multipurpose Cutting Board is a fantastic addition to any kitchen, offering style, functionality, and durability in one beautiful package.
- Unique design;
- A functional model with a tray area for chips and crackers; it can be used as charcuterie board;
- Two chopping sides for all cooking purposes;
- 1-year guarantee;
- Gift box included.
- Only hand-wash option;
- Needs to be oiled regularly;
- Slightly thinner than other wood cutting options.
The board’s price is under $70 – it is cheaper than wood cutting surfaces from more well-known brands, but the quality and the design aren’t worse than the competitors.
6. Heim Concept Organic Bamboo Cutting Board: Eco-Friendly Cutting Board for All Cooking Purposes
- KNIFE-FRIENDLY WOOD:The smooth bamboo surface of cutting board is nicely for knives, it won’t cause excessive wear and tear to cutlery.
- GREAT FOR FOOD SAFETY: High quality cutting board made from 100% organic bamboo.
- PERFECT AS SERVING PLATTER: These wooden boards can also be used as a serving platter for cheese, meats, olives, breads and any other appetizer.
I absolutely love the Organic Bamboo Cutting Board from Heim Concept. If you’re a fan of bamboo kitchen items or simply on the hunt for high-quality kitchen gear at an affordable price, this is the perfect choice. Heim Concept, a US-based company renowned for its stainless steel kitchen gear and accessories, has really nailed it with their bamboo board series.
What makes this model stand out is its fantastic combination of a durable bamboo surface for chopping and a stylish serving plate. Not only is it kind to your knives, but it’s also a safe choice for your health.
The board is crafted from 100% organic Musu bamboo, and there are absolutely no added chemicals or dyes involved in its production. Plus, it boasts natural antibacterial properties, which is always a plus in the kitchen. Speaking of size, the cutting surface is impressively large at 18 inches in length and 12 inches in width. It’s slightly thinner than its wooden counterparts, with a thickness of just 1 inch. This makes it substantial enough to stay put during use, yet still easy to move and clean, weighing in at a manageable 5.5 pounds.
One of the best features of this board is its reversible design. On one side, there’s a drip groove that efficiently collects excess moisture, keeping your work area tidy. On the flip side, it’s perfect for tasks like chopping bread. And the icing on the cake? Heim Concept backs this product with a 90-day warranty, covering any manufacturing defects or material-related issues.
Cleaning is a breeze with soap and warm water, but remember to dry it thoroughly after washing. I’d also like to emphasize the importance of regular oiling to maintain its integrity. Treating this bamboo board just like you would a wooden one will help extend its lifespan. Over time, with heavy use, bamboo boards can develop a rough texture and become susceptible to bacteria. In such cases, it’s best to replace the board for safety and hygiene reasons.
- It is much easier to clean compared with wooden cutting items;
- Eco-friendly material;
- Can be used as a serving plate;
- Toxin and BPA free;
- The price is excellent for a high-quality, durable model.
- Requires manual washing and oiling;
- Short warranty period.
The board’s price is remarkable – it costs only approximately $20-25 which makes it the cheapest cutting plank model on our list. Considering its useful design, quality of the material, and large size, this is the best offer for those who need something less pricey.
What to Consider When Choosing a Cutting Board
Choosing the right cutting board for your needs can be a tough task. With so many different options on the market, it can be hard to know where to start.
Size is an important consideration when choosing a cutting board. If you do a lot of cooking, you’ll need a board that’s large enough to accommodate all your ingredients. If space is limited in your kitchen, you might want to opt for a smaller board.
Material is another key factor to think about. Wood and plastic are the most popular options, but there are also boards made from glass, stone, or bamboo. each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to do your research before making a decision.
Safety is also an important consideration when choosing a cutting board. Look for a board with nonslip feet to prevent it from moving around while you’re working. And make sure the board is thick enough to withstand heavy chopping without dulling your knives.
Finally, don’t forget to think about design. Choose a board that will complement the look of your kitchen and fit in with your other tools and appliances. With so many factors to consider, choosing the right cutting board can be a daunting task. But if you take the time to think about size, material, safety, and design, you’ll be sure to find the perfect board for your needs.
Choosing the Best Cutting Boards for Knives
With the wide range of various models and materials, it is pretty hard to define what type of cutting board is best for knives, good-looking, and durable. For proper identification of the best cutting board that will meet your individual requirements, you have to start by observing various materials planks are made of, their specific features, and their merits. The most popular materials for cutting planks are wood, plastic, glass, bamboo, rubber, and composite.
While wood cutting boards are stylish and can handle intense chopping and high temperatures, they require special treatment and attention. Bamboo models can offer you the highest quality for an excellent price, but they also have to be dried and oiled to protect your food from various bacteria. Thus, my personal favorites are rubber and composite cutting planks: while the first one is excellent for Japanese knives and perfectly resistant to bacteria, the second can be used at high temperatures, is easy to take care of, and can serve you as long as you need.
Which item would you rather choose: a rubber or composite one? Or, perhaps, you are a fan of classic wood boards? Let’s define our common cutting board rating leader in the comments!
Choosing the right cutting board for your knives is essential for maintaining their sharpness and prolonging their lifespan. With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to find the best cutting board for your needs.
However, by considering factors such as material, size, and maintenance requirements, you can make an informed decision. Whether you prefer a wooden cutting board for its durability and natural beauty or a plastic cutting board for its easy cleaning and sanitation, there’s a perfect cutting board out there for you. To explore the best cutting boards for knives, check out our comprehensive guide.