When people think of non-toxic cutting boards, the first thing that comes to mind is the board itself. But this doesn’t mean you should stop looking for a non-toxic cutting board after you find one. The best non toxic cutting board needs to be sturdy and durable as well as affordable.
Although cutting boards are critical, they’re also at risk of being the most contaminated appliance in a kitchen. Since they continuously come in contact with raw meat and protein, the threat from cross-contamination is enormous. Thus, it’s wise to opt for a non-toxic cutting board.
Non-toxic cutting boards are available under a lot of jargon, such as antibacterial cutting boards, hygienic cutting boards, etc. However, if you’re looking for the best non-toxic cutting board for hygiene, we got you covered!
In this article, we’re going to present some of the ten best non-toxic cutting boards 2021 to help you find the best one for you. That being said, let’s begin!
Now have a quick look at all of my top picked products below:
What Cutting Board Are Non-Toxic?
Apart from making sure your cutting boards are made of a sturdy material that can withstand the rigors of a busy kitchen, you also want to ensure they are free of harmful substances that can leach into your food. But how do you know which cutting boards are non toxic?
Cutting boards are an essential part of food preparation, but it is important to know which ones are safe and which ones are not. Wood cutting boards are the most popular type since they are inexpensive and easy to find. While they are generally safe to use, wood cutting boards can be subject to wear and tear, and they may be coated in a finish that can be toxic if ingested. Plastic cutting boards can also be dangerous, as they can contain Bisphenol A (BPA), which can leach into food.
So, Avoid plastic cutting boards. You should also look out for harmful adhesives and finishings- this includes those on wood as well.
Top 9 Best Non-Toxic Cutting Boards Reviewed
John Boos- Non Toxic Reversible Cutting Board:
What makes the John Boos Maple Wood Cutting Board unique is that there’s no gimmick involved. It’s made of excellent quality wood and has all the qualities of a useful kitchen appliance.
A simple board made with high-end craftsmanship with good quality wood, what to not like about this? Let’s find out what makes this board so unique!
- Thickness: The John Boos cutting board is significantly thicker than other boards available in its price range. With a width of 2.25 inches, it makes sure no part of nothing can seep out from one end to another.
Both sides of the board are useable, so you don’t have to worry about cleaning it once every use.
- Integrated Handle Grooves: There are grooved handles on both sides of the board to quickly carry the board. You don’t have to lift it directly. This makes it perfect for a serving tray for cheeseboards.
- Top-notch Construction: John Boos has spent a significant bit of time researching and understanding before making its way into the market. Their cutting boards’ build quality is exquisite and will hold itself off pretty well in the long run.
- Extremely thick
- Comfortable to hold with handles
- Available in multiple sizes
- Easy to clean
- No juice grooves
- Inadequate sanding at places
If you want something that adheres to a cutting board’s classic definition, then this is what you’re looking for. Rustic, traditional, yet efficient. However, there are specific issues that can easily be dealt with. So keep that in mind as well.
Earth’s Dreams- Non Toxic Wood Fiber Cutting Board:
When discussing non-toxic cutting board reviews, we had to choose products that are non-toxic for your kitchen and nature.
The Earth’s Dreams Cutting board comes in a set of three boards. The boards are sized appropriately to be used for both serving and chopping. The board uses a unique wood fiber and bamboo material, which is a natural alternative to plastic and rubber. It is manufactured with modern eco-friendly technology that keeps the environment safe.
Let’s find out the other notable details of the product:
- Unique Material: The board comprises a mixture of wooden fibers, powdered wood, and bamboo. Unlike traditional wooden cutting boards, it’s non-porous and holds itself better.
- Lightweight: The material makes the board very lightweight and easy to carry and store. The entire set of three weighs around 2kg.
- Non-slip Feet: Feet are attached on each side of the board to ensure the board stays in place properly despite the place it’s placed on.
- Easy to carry and store
- Easy to clean
- Doesn’t form molds
- No juice grooves
- It doesn’t hold up with heavy knives.
An organic, all-natural product that’s likely to last a long time. If you want something kind to both you and nature, this is what you need. Recommended to everyone based on just how good the board is in itself.
Epicurean-Non Toxic Cutting Board with Non Slip Feet:
Epicurean has a very different take on cutting boards compared to anything we’ve discussed so far. Instead of using commonly used wood or plastic, they’ve researched techniques to make their own specialized material for their board.
The board is made of natural, bio-degradable yet stiff paper. Unlike conventional plastic, it disintegrates easily into the soil. Also, it’s non-porous when compared to wood. So, it takes the best from both sides and creates a unique product of its own.
Among all non-toxic cutting boards, this is one of the best Heat-resistant cutting boards.
So, what makes this one special? Let’s find out!
- Unique Material: Manufactured from various high-quality, durable papers that will last longer than wood, that is not harmful to the environment.
- Lightweight: The unique material makes it extremely lightweight when compared to wood. So, easy to carry and store.
- Heat-resistant: The board can withstand heat up to 350°F. So, you can easily cut hot items on the board without risking damage.
- Easy to lift and store.
- Heat resistant.
- 100% Organic material.
- Available in two colors.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Non-slip feet can get damaged easily.
A very user-friendly product, to say the least. However, if you don’t like cleaning with your hands and rely on your dishwasher a lot, this product isn’t right for you. So, make sure you know your priorities before purchase.
Read more about: Best dishwasher safe cutting boards in market
Freshware Store -Non Toxic Wood Cutting Board
If you like bamboo wood cutting boards, this is the perfect product for you. Freshwares’ set of three cutting boards are an all unique, durable, and lightweight cutting board that’s a must-have for every kitchen.
So, what’s so special about this board, you’re wondering? Let’s find out!
- A Perfect Set: The set of three cutting boards are sized adequately. They can be used to cut meat, vegetables, bread, etc., of any size, as well as a serving board. You’ll have the perfect board for any occasion.
- Organic Materials: It is made of 100% organic MOSO bamboo wood. Safe and BPA free, this is one of the safest cutting boards out there.
- Unique Design: The craftsmen at Freshwares used a unique design to ensure the product remains sturdy for years. The board comprises of three parts, the outer parts are vertical, and the inner is horizontal. This helps to deal with the impact of knives and keeps your board fit for longer.
- Amazing build quality
- Available in multiple sizes
- Easy to clean and store
- Crack and moisture resistant
- Full-refund for unsatisfactory product
- No juice groves or compartments
- Not dishwasher friendly
How do you make the most out of a cutting board depends entirely on how you use it. However, the build-quality has to be good enough for your benefit as well. Freshware is confident about their product, and they aren’t hiding it. They guarantee a full refund on any customer dissatisfaction or complaint. So, we recommend giving it a try!
ROYAL CRAFT WOOD-Harmless Organic Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove :
Next up on the list is one of the most premium cutting boards with juice groove. Although priced cheap, the product quality is almost too good to be true. We are presenting the organic bamboo cutting board set from Royal Craft Wood Store.
This set of three boards are made of some of the best material available. They’re great in terms of quality and have plenty of features to keep you satisfied.
That being said, let’s discuss its features!
- Complete Set: Available in a group of three, this set of cutting boards contains everything you’d need. Three unique sized boards that can be used for all sorts of cutting and serving.
- Side Handlers: Most well-built cutting boards lack this critical utility. The side handles to make sure you can carry them easily regardless of whatever’s on the board. Amazing for serving.
- Knife-friendly: The bamboo wood has been smoothened by sanding and synthetics to make sure it glides well. Your knife won’t get dull, and you won’t have to worry about spots on your board.
- Deep Juice-grooves: The board has deep grooves to hold any juices, residue, or dirt from the board, making it easier to clean and dispose of.
- Perfect set of three
- Comfortable to hold with side handlers
- Doesn’t dull knives
- Has Juice grooves
- 100% organic material
- Not dishwasher safe
- Has a chemical-like odor
Bamboo is the future. It’s robust, sturdy, and easy to grow, And Royal Craft celebrates bamboo through these boards. Top-notch build with even better quality; these are everything you’d need for your kitchen.
Labell-Non toxic Large Reversible Canadian Maple Cutting Board:
Canadian Maple is one of the best woods out there. It’s robust, sturdy, and unique to Canada. With the fantastic quality of the wood, paired with unparalleled craftsmanship, this is the kind of board that’s worth your time and money!
This massive board is big enough to be the right prep item for large dinner parties to simple household use. The making is impressive, and the product has been loved by many!
- Massive Size: The board is enormous in comparison to other boards. It’s 24×18 in dimensions. So, it can fit anything from ribs, briskets to large-sized family dinner prep.
- High-quality Build: Made of high-quality wood and sublime craftsmanship, this is a product that can last a very long time if used well. If you follow simple precautions, you’re going to have a great time with it!
- Ultra-safe and Ecofriendly: The product is made of high-end wood that doesn’t form molds or accumulate dirt. Furthermore, the enzymes in Maple stop the growth of bacteria and kill them in the process.
- Knife-friendly: One common problem with most cutting boards is that they make the knives dull. But the maple wood, paired with the sharpening, keeps the blades smooth and well for years.
- Top-notch build quality
- 100% organic material
- Antibacterial and mold proof
- Doesn’t dull knives
- Doesn’t get spots from knives
- Amazing craftsmanship
- No juice grooves or containers
- Can warp if made wet frequently
- Not dishwasher safe
- Requires frequent seasoning
Best in the business or not, this is a fantastic product. A product that relies heavily on the material and builds quality instead of flashy gimmicks. The best part of this is the material. Although it requires some bit of managing for you, it’s still amazing. We recommend this if you’re looking for a big yet simple cutting board.
Seville-Non toxic Bamboo Cutting Board:
Next up on the list is the non toxic bamboo cutting board with cutting mats from Seville Classics. This beautiful board comes with seven different cutting board mats that help with cleaning after mowing.
Furthermore, the fantastic build quality and outstanding features are definitely worth a visit. That being said, let’s find out more!
- Top-notch Material: Made of 100% organic bamboo, the board is strong, sturdy, and efficient. The build quality is definitely worth a try. Also, the product is significant and can hold most proteins easily.
- Cutting Mats: The product comes with seven color-coded cutting mats to place on top of your cutting board. The cutting mats make cleaning more comfortable and save you from the hassle of cleaning your cutting board again and again. Furthermore, the carpets have signs on them to prevent cross-contamination. You can also store the mats inside the board.
- Non-slip: The board contains silicone feet at the bottom that keeps it in its place. Furthermore, the mats are also non-slip for a seamless experience.
- 100% organic build
- Top-notch quality
- Comes with complimentary cutting mats
- Doesn’t require frequent cleaning
- Helpful for preventing cross-contamination
- 1-year warranty
- Slightly heavier than other cutting boards
- Not dishwasher friendly
In conclusion, this is a product that has excellent quality. It’s big, and the mats add to the utility. However, weight is an issue, and there are mixed customer reviews. However, if you don’t like regular cleaning, go for it!
Virginia Boys Kitchens- Extra Large Walnut Non Toxic Wood Cutting Board
What defines premium for you? This extra-large cutting board by Virginia Boys is an excellent example of a premium cutting board. The premium wood, the exquisite design gives it a vibe like no other. Let’s find out more!
Great wood cutting board that’s easy to clean and keeps the food separate from the board. A natural product with no potential for chemical contamination.
This black walnut non toxic cutting board is perfect for use in the kitchen. It is long-lasting, extra-large, and non-toxic. It is also great for children or anyone that is more of a “wood” person.
This knife-friendly wood cutting board will make a great addition to any kitchen. The non-toxic, oil- and stain-free hardwood is a durable and safe choice for anyone learning to cook.
- Premium Quality: Made from specially produced black-walnut wool, the board is dried and sanded with utmost quality control to give you the best final product. It’s premium in look, feel, and utility! The unique design makes it usable as a board, as a serving tray, or as a showpiece. Perfect as a gift for any occasion.
- Knife-friendly: The soft yet sturdy material makes it very easy for knives to glide on the board. Giving you a seamless experience without dulling the knives or putting spots on the board.
- Pre-seasoned: Seasoning a cutting board properly on the first try is not easy. To make your life easier, the boards are pre-seasoned with coconut oil. So, you can have a great experience from the first try.
- Exquisite design
- Premium build quality
- Money-back guarantee
- Slightly expensive compared to competitors
- Not dishwasher friendly
This cutting board oozes premium. From build to quality to packaging, it’s a premium affair, worth a bit of money; however, if you’re willing to spend, definitely worth every cent!
Indigo True Store-Extra Large Non-toxic Bamboo Cutting Board:
Next up on the list is the extra-large bamboo cutting board from Indigo True. It’s a big and sturdy board that can be super helpful in the long run. From serving food to cutting meat, this one does everything!
Let’s find out more:
- Deep Juice Groves: The board contains deep juice groves that can hold up to 2oz of juice. The groves keep the board free from spills and make cleaning a lot easier.
- Top-notch build: The eco-friendly bamboo manufacturing means the board is free from any toxic materials. Also, there’s a mineral oil coating to prevent mold or dirt.
- Knife-friendly: The board is kind to both the knife and the damage from it. It won’t dull your knife while keeping the board free from scratches.
- Made from authentic bamboo
- Friendly to knives
- Both side usable
- Can cause mold
- Bad customer service
There’s a lot to like about these non-toxic cutting boards, the size, the grooves, the build, everything. However, the board has some caveats as well. If you can keep the board clean, go for it! This is one of the best ones out there at its price.
How To Choose The Best Non Toxic Cutting Boards
Non-toxic cutting boards are a great alternative to plastic ones. But there is more to it than just the material. The material should have some other feature that will attract you to use it. That is the reason why, I thought of choosing the non toxic cutting boards by looking at their features.
There are so many materials used in the making of non toxic cutting boards. But plastic is one of the most popular types, as it seems to be cheap and easy to use.
You can find glass or paperboard cutting boards made from wood pulp. That cuts nice but just like any other type doesn’t last long since they also start ripping easily when you cut food on them with knives that don’t have good sharpness at all times.
I came across some cutting boards that are made from bamboo. They look good and seem to be extremely strong, tough enough to last for a long time without breaking down even with hard-cutting knives.
It is important to have a cutting board that will not slide on the countertop or table if you try to use it for slicing. This may cause an accident which can damage your dishes at home.
Looped non-slip feet are not safe, they tend to slip often so these types of sliders need more care while using them even though their price might be lower than those with plastic grips. These metal set loops hooks would normally not go below two feet because the hooks are tacked to the board.
The environmentally-friendly non toxic boards usually don’t use glue or other adhesives for attaching them to counters and tables, place your vegetables on top of it, sometimes you might need them to prop up a glass while cutting tomato slices.
There are many different sizes for non-toxic boards. This type of cutting board usually comes in two sorts, it is either round or oval-shaped. A round shape allows you to lift meat from its bone easily while a medium-sized one will suffice for most people who want to chop veggies and divide the main course dishes among family members without messing with cooking further on dinner time by adding more cutlery.
The small size of these sliders would still be sufficient enough to let you use child-friendly knives easily without having any unnecessary strain on the hands. These sizes are usually very huggable, which means that they are good for righties as well. Most people would say these boards don’t have heavy hands being cutlery, however, these sliders can still be used for chopping bones of cuts, though small individuals should consider purchasing them larger so saving money is nothing against their needs because non -toxic boards are worth the money.
The juice groove is another desirable feature, which lets you make space for apple juice in your non-toxic boards. This ingenious design helps to prevent juices from leaking when the slices become cold and get slippery. It avoids mishaps that might occur while slicing red peppers or grapes. You can put fruits like pears or peaches inside the ledges so they won’t slide off accidentally but still provide enough support to keep them safe through rough.
End-Grain Vs Edge-Grain
Non-toxic boards are commonly made in various shapes with company goods or catering products being chosen. They come in a variety of alignments from sloping edges, to rows of the tiny pointed curves, all the way up to regular grain.
While simple edge-grain boards are highly suitable for beginners because they can easily be used at home without involving much manual care and effort. In laymen’s terms, it means these difficult figured boards would visualize over time with proper maintenance using a mild soap and soft cloth until there is no trace left behind.
Best Non-Toxic Types of Cutting Boards:
As a home cook, you know that having the right tools makes preparing your meals easier. You also know that you want everything you use to be safe for you and your family to consume. Thats why non-toxic cutting boards are such a useful and popular kitchen tool: not only do they make your food preparation time faster and easier, but they make it safer, too.
1. Wood Made Cutting Boards:
These solid and sturdy cutting boards made from one of the most prevalent materials on the planet are as eco-friendly as they are practical.Wood is one of the best non-toxic cutting board materials. So if you’re looking for something toxic-free cutting board in your kitchen, consider adding a wooden cutting board to your kitchen.
2. Glass Cutting Boards
Another non-toxic alternative is glass, since the material is very non-porous.. Not only is it easy to clean, but unlike wooden cutting boards, a glass cutting board won’t crack, splinter, or warp over time. That means it’ll last you a long time and won’t require you to replace it like some cheaper glass cutting boards.
Although damage to knives can be a problem, you don’t need to worry about that with a glass cutting board. In fact, glass is great at helping to maintain a sharp blade. The reason for this is that it has higher resistance to surface scratches, unlike softer materials like wood. However, a glass cutting board is not a great choice for heavy-duty chopping
3. Bamboo Cutting Boards
Finally, the third winner of nontoxic cutting boards is bamboo. Bamboo is the natural wooden alternative that is found in abundance and is rapidly flourishing.
Bamboo cutting boards are a popular choice for cooks and chefs who want a small kitchen tool that doesn’t have the high price of other types of high quality cutting boards (like maple, cherry and butcher block). In addition, bamboo is a renewable resource, meaning that it can be harvested without harming the environment. The bamboo used for cutting boards is also harvested in a sustainable way, so it will never become extinct.
Tips to Make a Cutting Board Non-Toxic
After you’ve been using your cutting board for a while, you may notice that it starts to develop a musty smell. Also, in time you may notice that the wood beneath the surface of the board becomes visible. Both of these conditions are signs that the board is becoming toxic. To avoid this, you can do several things, including mixing a solution of warm water and lemon juice and wiping the cutting board with this solution every time you use it. Spray the board with a vinegar solution and let it sit for 30 minutes, then clean it with a sponge. You can also make a cleaning solution of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water, and wipe the board with it, let it sit for 10 minutes and then wipe it off.
1. Sand the board
2. Wash with soap and water
3. Coat with mineral oil
4. Apply beeswax
Can Cutting Boards be Toxic?
Yes, cutting boards can be toxic. The most common problems with cutting boards are bacterial growth and the creation of chemical compounds.
The material that you are cutting on is not the only factor that determines whether your cutting board is toxic. If the board is dull, it will dull your knife, thus increasing any toxicity. If the board is severely worn and the grain of the wood is deep and wide, bacteria can multiply and leach into your food.
What is the healthiest material for a Cutting Board?
You can use wood or plastic as a cutting board as both materials are safe for contact with food.
Are Epicurean Cutting Boards toxic?
Epicurean cutting boards are generally constructed from hard rubber. The hard rubber can be made from recycled material, generally old tires. Being hard rubber, they are safe and non toxic to use.
Are Bamboo Cutting Boards Toxic?
Bamboo cutting boards are a popular eco-friendly alternative to wood cutting boards. Bamboo is a fast-growing grass that is naturally hard and sturdy, making it a good choice for cutting boards.
Cutting boards are excellent. They help us out through so much in the kitchen, yet we tend to undermine their impact. Most people won’t invest in a good cutting board until it’s too late. However, a good cutting board or cutting board with a container can make a world of difference in the kitchen.
In this article, we’ve discussed some of the best non-toxic cutting boards out there. That will give you a smooth and healthy cutting experience. We hope you find this article helpful!