Cutting boards are an integral part of our lives. They’re versatile and easy to use. A simple cutting board can save us from a multitude of trouble. They make the monotone tasks of cutting more comfortable. Cutting boards are available in multiple styles, materials, etc. Among them, the most common is the humble plastic cutting board. Made from a simple yet reliable material that can easily support most proteins and vegetables’ weight without breaking or bending. Furthermore, unlike wooden cutting boards, they don’t have pores that require seasoning to prevent damage. They require very little maintenance when compared to other materials.
However, these plastic cutting boards are susceptible to spots. Even the best plastic cutting boards for meat can’t prevent these spots. When you continuously work on these boards, they grow many spots on them that aren’t easy to deal with. Although regular washes help, they still aren’t all that useful. In this article, we’re going to discuss a few easy steps on cleaning a cutting board and removing the spots from them. That being said, let’s begin!
HOW TO REMOVE STAINS FROM A PLASTIC CUTTING BOARDS:
There are three simple ways to get rid of stains on plastic cutting boards:
3.Detergent, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Baking
How to use bleach to remove stains from plastic cutting board:
Bleach is a popular stain-remover. From clothes to metals, bleach can be used anywhere. Bleach can be an excellent stain remover for your cutting board as well. The steps for washing your cutting board with bleach are:
- In a spray bottle, take one teaspoon of bleach in 500ml water. Close the bottle well and mix the solution thoroughly.
- Once the solution is done, spray it on both sides of the cutting board, uniformly. Make sure no part is left dry on empty. Afterward, let it stay and dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Afterward, wet a sponge in warm water and wash the bleach away. Make sure the water isn’t too hot, and you don’t touch the bleach directly.
- Now, mix one tablespoon of dish soap or detergent in 500 ml water and put the cutting board into the solution. Once the solution is thoroughly soaped, please put it in running water and rinse it off.
- Once you’re done rinsing, take a towel and dry out any extra water from the cutting board. Afterward, put it somewhere vertically and close to the sun. Make sure it doesn’t get wet or come in contact with anything dirty while drying.
WARNING: This is a straightforward and practical step to get rid of spots from your plastic cutting board. However, bleach is extremely corrosive and can damage you if you aren’t careful. Always wear gloves and make sure you don’t put raw bleach in any part of your body. Also, make sure the bottle is closely tied when shaking to prevent the mixture from entering your eyes.
If your cutting board has already stain and you are looking for a way to get rid of stain, watch this video:
How to use Hydrogen peroxide to remove stains from plastic cutting board:
If chemicals like bleach aren’t for you, you can opt for something natural like Hydrogen Peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a natural stain remover that can effectively remove tough stains if you let it rest properly. The steps of using hydrogen peroxide only are:
- When using Hydrogen peroxide, always buy the 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. They’re safe to the skin and easy to use.
- Mix 2 parts of 3% Hydrogen peroxide in 1 part water and make a solution. The solution shouldn’t be too thick that it’s hard to pour. Make sure you add enough water to wet the entire cutting board.
- Put the solution in a spray bottle or simply pour it thoroughly over the board. Make sure every bit of it is wet, and no part is left dry.
- Keep the cutting board at rest for at least 2 hours. It’s better to keep it in the solution overnight. After you’re done resting the board, you’d see some visible differences already.
- Now, wash the hydrogen peroxide away with detergent and water, similar to removing bleach. Once you’re done, let it dry in a safe spot.
- One additional step you can follow after cleaning is to remove all sorts of bacteria and odor. If you have a dishwasher, put it in the dishwasher in a hot cycle. This will make it as clean as new. However, if you don’t have a dishwasher, you can give your dishwasher an optional scrub and clean as well.
WARNING: Although Hydrogen Peroxide isn’t as harmful as bleach, it’s still reasonably corrosive. So, make sure you have your safety gear on when you’re working.
How To Use Hydrogen Peroxide, Detergent, and Baking Soda to remove spots:
If you’re looking for a natural solution for stains that involves little to no chemicals at all, this is what you need. Hydrogen peroxide, detergent, and bleach together not only removes spots but also kills any sign of germs, bacteria, and odor from the cutting board as well as with the container. Making it as fresh as new.
The steps are:
- In a bowl, add 1-2 teaspoons of Hydrogen Peroxide, one teaspoon detergent, and 3-4 teaspoons of baking soda. Add a little bit of water to make a paste from it. The paste should be somewhat thick to stay on the board but smooth enough to be moved around.
- When you’re adding water to the paste, it might get fizzy due to the texture of the Hydrogen Peroxide. Don’t overthink about it. The foam will go away in a few seconds.
- Add the mixture to both sides of the board thoroughly. Make sure no part is left dry. Let the mixture rest for a few hours or overnight. During this time, make sure it doesn’t come in contact with water, and the mixture stays intact.
- Afterward, wash off the mixture with water and give it a thorough wash. Now let it dry like the previous steps mentioned.
This might seem a bit complicated, but it’s the most well-suited solution to it. It deals with spots, stains as well as odors and bacteria. Genuinely recommended if you have the time to.
Cutting boards make our lives easier, but the stains are both annoying as well as problematic. In this article, we’ve discussed a few simple processes of cleaning a plastic cutting board. We hope you find this article helpful!
How do you get stains out of a plastic cutting board?
To get a stain out of a plastic cutting board, first make sure that you have washed the board thoroughly with hot, soapy water to remove all food particles. Then, use a little bit of vinegar and dish soap to scrub the stain. If the stain is of a more stubborn nature, you can use rubbing alcohol to help get it out.
how to remove black stains from plastic cutting board?
The best way to remove black stains from your cutting board is to use mild soap and water. Let the cutting board soak in the soapy water for 30 minutes, rub the board with a sponge and rinse.
how to make a white plastic cutting board white again?
To make a white plastic cutting board white again, you can apply household bleach. Apply bleach to a clean cloth and rub it into the plastic. Then rinse the bleach with warm water and dry it with a clean cloth.